butterfly wing flutters

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

BBC Spam


Last night I went over to my British Born Chinese friend, Angela's flat for dinner. She has been promising me a Spam dinner ever since she learned that I too shared the love of that delicacy called, SPAM! Nothing that she is too proud to acknowledge in the work environment as she feels it will make her come across as "unprofessional."


Anyways, this was the menu:
Wild Alaskan Salmon topped with Chinese pickles
Spam Stir Fry (bell peppers and leftover mushrooms she wanted to get rid of)
Steamed Broccoli w/Oyster Sauce
Thai Fragrant Rice

At 8:45 we sat down to eat. Angela made excuses about the food being overcooked - blaming the two glasses of Reisling we had knocked back had made her extra chatty. Didn't I read somewhere in an Amy Tan book ( The Joyluck Club? The Hundred Secret Senses?) how Chinese people always put their own cooking down in order to show humility but inside are genuinely beaming inside over their culinary skills? And the polite thing to do was of course to disagree, which I promptly proceeded to do -shaking my head and insisting that everything tasted lovely. But my manners escaped me when after dinner I told her that it was not the Wild Alaskan Salmon or the Marks & Spencer's Broccoli, but the Spam dish which I had liked the best. Can't beat good processed animal parts!!

Next time I will have to introduce her to some local Hawaiian style Spam dishes. Angela, darling get ready for some Spam Musubi!!

2 Comments:

  • At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hilarious! You are officially bestowed with the quality of "funny" (along with bubbly, chatty), not of the "oh-that- strange-Amercian-girl" type of funny, but a genuinely witty, acerbic, sharp sense of humour funny that us Brits like. It was make or break time yesterday, but now you've made it... That's right, you've made: 1) friend status over colleague 2) continued friend even after I leave the job 3)£15 friend

     
  • At 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i have known her for over 10 years and she has never ever made me spam!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home