butterfly wing flutters

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Milk and Honey

Yesterday, James and I celebrated our two year anniversary. Two years may not sound like a lot to some people, but to me, it feels like quite an achievement. And this is just the beginning.

I got a bouquet of flowers sent to work. The florist apparently got too excited with his twigs and bamboo shoots as it looked more like a forest and was probably half my size, taking out everyone that came too close on the tube. We had dinner at this fabulous resturant in Covent Garden called Maggiories. It is internationally acclaimed for its modern European cuisine and was awarded, at it’s first attempt, the prestigious Wine Spectator ‘Award of Excellence’ in 2002, and has since gone on to win the “Best of Award of Excellence” for a further two consecutive years (2003 and 2004). James and I shared a Yering Pinot Noir (Australia). After James had his port, expresso and a try with his Japanese with the Japanese people sitting next to us, we headed off for a nigth cap at Milk and Honey. It is a private members club, with just one other one in NY. With membership costing £300 a year, after a few pina coladas, James was convinced we could afford it...we even progressed to discuss who we would invite to 'our' private booth. There is apparently a three year wait, so I told him to start saving now.

So, the highlight of the night was when the waiter ( he was more than a waiter though, because he wasn't wearing the waiter costume, maybe the 'host?') came over to take our orders, James ordered me a vodka martini ( three olives, remember) and then the guy asks me what kind of vodka? It casually rolls of my tongue , 'Chopin.' * pause * 'Interesting,' he says. 'Hmmm, Chopin...I am not sure we can offer you anything like that.' He proceeded to reccomment the house Russian vodka, which I considered, then said,'yes.' So once he left the table, James and I seriously start cracking up, because in the middle of this snotty private members club, I had stumped this guy. He probably looked at me and was expecting Smirnoff, Skky, maybe Grey Goose...but nope, caught him off with the Chopin. Classic.

Check out their HOUSE RULES:

http://www.mlkhny.com/houserules/

And like, OH MY GOD, what kind of bar doesn't allow 'star-fucking?'

1 Comments:

  • At 12:48 AM, Blogger Lyons_Lair said…

    Hi Leila,

    I haven't seen you in ages. It's so nice to be able to click on your link on Lynn's webpage to see how you're doing. Regarding the posh Milk and Honey club, at least now you know that your $450 would be better spent elsewhere. What else can we expect from middle class elitists. Your Chopin happening...hahahaha, a distinguished feat.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home